Novice Blogger and Cook. Follow along my trials and tribulations of both new and exciting worlds.

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Artichokes: Blast from the Past!

My grandmother, or as I lovingly referred to as Nana, used to make Artichokes for dinner.  It was one of my favorite things on her menu.  So when I was in the market the other day, I ran across some fresh Artichokes and thought fondly of those dinners we used to have in our humble home in Hawaii.

My grandmother's method was quite simple.  She basically steamed the Artichokes in a some salted water and served.  I remember dipping it into a glob of Mayo.  At that age, I pretty much dipped everything and anything into mayonnaise.

So in memory of my Nana, I attempted to make some Artichokes for dinner last night.

My process was a bit different.  After, reading a few recipes on the internet, I decided on following one I found on the food network.

Basically, I steamed the Artichokes in a blend of lemons, parsley, bay leaves, salt, pepper, white wine, garlic and Chicken broth.  I brought it all to a simmer and then layer my artichokes in bottom up.  Once placed in the pot, I covered everything and let simmer for roughly 30-40 minutes.

Once the artichokes stalks were tender, I removed them from the broth and served.

Unfortunately, I didn't have mayonnaise in the house, but however, I do have to admit, they were pretty tasty without it.

My Nana was very special and dear to my heart and making these brought some happiness to my night.  I look forward to making some of my other Nana's favorites in the future.







No comments:

Post a Comment