Novice Blogger and Cook. Follow along my trials and tribulations of both new and exciting worlds.

Sunday, June 29, 2014

My trip to the Union Square Farmer's Market

Hi everyone!

I know it's been a while since my last post.  I've been doing a bit of traveling for my other job as a creative consultant, so I haven't had a chance to update my blog.

Today, I will be sharing my experience from the Union Square Greenmarket.  I went to the market a few weeks back on a beautiful summer day.  

I had a wonderful time walking through the market and decided to buy a few ingredients for a tasty summer dish.  When in New York, I recommend that you should walk through the market and taste all the beautiful things it has to offer.  You can get more information on their website which is: http://www.grownyc.org

While on my visit to the market, I found some beautiful vine-ripped tomatoes, mozarella, basil, and fresh baked bread.  So, I decided to make Bruschetta, which is one of my favorite things to eat.

It's funny that I love this dish as an adult.  I can remember not wanting to eat my sliced tomatoes my Nana used to give me when I was a child.  My cousin, Lindsay, would flat out refuse to eat them.  The only tomato she would eat was in ketchup form.  I remember constantly teasing her and saying that she was crazy.  Lindsay's palate has evolved since our childhood and I believe she is happily enjoying a tomato from time to time.

This dish is very simple to make, but it's amazing to serve and your guest will be very happy.

To start, I sliced all my tomatoes into smaller pieces.  I recommend a variety of tomatoes for a range of flavor and color.  Once diced, place the tomatoes into a bowl and add in some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and some finely sliced basil.

While the tomatoes marinate in the olive oil and balsamic vinegar, I start on the crostini.  I sliced the farmer's market bread and sprinkled some olive oil and some minced garlic on the tops of the bread.  I let it toast in the oven for a few minutes.

After I placed the bread into the oven, I thinly sliced the mozzarella.   And after a few minutes in the oven, I layered a slice of mozzarella on each and every slice of bread.

Once the mozzarella has melted a bit, I removed the crostini from the heat.  Once removed, I scooped a healthy portion of the tomatoes onto the warm bread and sprinkle some additional chopped basil onto each slice.

This dish is so good, you will need to make extra as your guest will devour the plate once it hits the table.

I will probably visit the farmer's market again next weekend to get some inspiration for my next dish.

Stay tuned!













No comments:

Post a Comment